7.14.2012

"An old author whose pen name was Cladius Clear said that a reader could divide his books as he would people. A few were 'lovers,' and those books would go with him into exile. Others are 'friends.' Most books are 'acquaintances,' works with which he was on nodding terms."
- J. Oswald Sanders, Spiritual Leadership

My lovers:
The Harry Potter books (J.K. Rowling), for the reader and writer they developed in my soul and for the creativity they fostered in my mind.
Hadassah: One Night with the King (Tommy Tenney and Mark Andrew Olsen), for first showing me real wonder. 
The Bible, which gives nourishment to my entire life and whole being and which teaches me daily about my Father, Creator, Savior, Helper, Lord. 

My friends:
Love From Your Friend, Hannah (Mindy Warshaw Skolsky)
You Are Special (Max Lucado)
The Consolation of Philosophy (Boethius)
The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
The Art of Travel (Alain de Botton)
The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
All Creatures Great and Small (James Herriot)

And to my many, many acquaintances: I tip my hat to you. Thank you for the times of wonder, sorrow, and joy. Thank you for always teaching, always challenging, always correcting. Our meeting was worthwhile.  

Here's to the acquaintances, friends, and hopefully lovers yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment