12.08.2013

I am the accuser.
I am the mocker.
I am the crucifier.

I am the bride.
I am the son.
I am the redeemed.



God's wrath is a deep, deep expression of his love for us. He disciplines me as a father disciplines a son. Through discipline he brings me into holiness.

The greatest act of wrath is the greatest act of mercy and love. We see the God of the Old Testament as a God of wrath and the God of the New Testament as a God of love. But God is one, unchanging. Although the Old Testament is littered with the righteous anger of God, the New Testament opens with four accounts of his wrath. But then--it is finished. We see the cross as an expression of God's love for us, which is true. But it wouldn't be real love without understanding that it was also the one moment in history when God fully released his anger upon man, thereby justifying us to himself. This one act of wrath overshadows all others in the Old Testament and with it comes love greater than anyone had yet experienced outside the garden. Paul and Luke and the other New Testament writers can speak of God's love because his wrath was sated in the death of Christ, the perfect sacrifice. My sin was upon his shoulders as he hung upon the cross, and yet because he died for me, I reap his reward. I will share with him in glory. I will inherit all that he inherits as the only son of God.



"It was my sin that held him there
Until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life.
I know that it is finished."

No comments:

Post a Comment