11.02.2011

recently.

God's been pounding things into my head recently.

1. Through the renewal of my tutorials for my thesis, I've been thinking about language. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that linguistics is something I need to pursue. I'm fascinated by endangered languages and I want to single-handedly try to save them all by learning them and then forcing them upon my future children.
I learned last week that one of my professors' research assistant worked with Wycliffe Bible Translators in West Africa for two years at the beginning stages of translation. This is a person with passions similar to my own. It is missions, it is linguistics, it is Bible translation. Hello? That is me.
Last Sunday was Bible Sunday (in Scotland, at least). A man who also works in Bible translation spoke in church. He then prayed: for the 2000 people groups that don't have the Bible in their mother tongue, for the men and women in the field right now attempting to aid in that process, and for the people who feel God calling them in that direction. Hello? That is me. I almost cried.

2. I'm translating Philippians this semester. My church's evening service is working through Philippians right now. There are numerous allusions to the Suffering Servant Songs of Isaiah 52 and 53 in Philippians. Yesterday at Christian Union, the speaker presented just that topic and related it to Acts. Today it came up in Hebrew, where we were translating Genesis 37.

3. I'm also translating many of the Beloved Son narratives from Genesis this semester. My church's morning service is working through similar passages as well.

This is getting ridiculous. In some of these cases, I'm not entirely sure what God is trying to tell/teach me. But He has my attention and I'm listening, ears wide. It's been a long time since things have felt this right. He has me where He needs me. He's using my circumstances to repeatedly bash me over the head with these topics.

Keep 'em comin', God.

1 comment:

  1. I've had experiences like this before - especially last semester when we were translating passages out of the Gospels and my church was starting a series on Luke, then I went to Israel. God is definitely after you, if for no other reason than just to show you he knows you and cares about what you learn. :) Miss you! I wish I could glean more of your wisdom and the things you're learning...but next semester will have to do!

    ReplyDelete