1.05.2011

Simple Joy

Simple joys.

Those things that don't mean much to anyone else, but for some reason bring you incalculable happiness--those things that bring you pure joy.

Clouds. Lucky Charms marshmallows. A day in pajamas with a good book. Hugs. Coming home to dogs.

Sleeping with a little kid.

It stormed tonight while I was babysitting my nephews and niece. I put my niece to bed, but she's never one to fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. She sings and talks to herself. She told me tonight that she doesn't close her eyes because that makes it too dark. I tried telling her that was the point.
In the midst of the storm, she called down to me. I could barely understand what was wrong; she was having such a difficult time making any sense, stuttering. She was trying to be brave and hold back tears. Apparently, she wasn't scared, but one particular thunder scared her (her explanation). She asked me if I would sleep in her bed with her.

Joy.

I didn't sleep. And actually, she still didn't either. But we cuddled.

Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment