4.03.2011

Belmont=Musical Talent

My school is crazy talented. I am blessed to go here. I'm surrounded by music. The students here don't just like music as a hobby- they are music.

This afternoon I went to my friend Melissa's Senior Composition Recital. She presented four or five of the pieces she has composed in her time here at Belmont. I was honestly blown away. My favorite piece (well... I guess I had two favorites) is called "Two clappers and a fiddle." She wrote the piece for "big" hands, "little" hands, and a violin. Incredible. I couldn't follow any one of them. The clappers were using their entire bodies to make these sounds. And Melissa had composed it. How do you even do that?! The other piece I loved was her final piece, "Consciousness." She said this was the most personal and introspective piece she has written. It had to do with naming consciousness (think Elegance of the Hedgehog). I won't pretend that I understand it completely. The way Melissa's mind works does not resemble mine in any way. She thinks in music and notes and rhythm. She sees something and it automatically translates into a melody for her. My consciousness gives me words instead. This piece was composed as a piano solo. Our friend Syneva played piano (and cello) for the recital, and I do not know anyone who knows their way around that instrument like Syneva does. No normal person could possibly perform what Melissa composed. I didn't even know it was possible/legal to play the strings inside the piano. How do you even notate that on a score? Melissa is ridiculously talented, it was a beautiful recital. I would like Melissa to create the score for my life.

This evening I went with some friends to see The Drowsy Chaperone, which our musical theater majors were putting on. Musical theater is the most difficult major to get into in the School of Music. It is the only major that has a quota. Over 100 people auditioned for musical theater for the fall. Belmont accepts 15-20. These students have to sing, dance, and act, and they have to be really great at all of it. This musical had a loooong tap number. Holy cow was it good! They tapped and sang and remained in character. One of the tappers also had to roller skate blindfolded on stage later in the show. I would recommend this musical to anyone, anywhere. I don't think I have ever seen a more entertaining, funnier musical. Obviously, if you could see the cast of Belmont students perform it, that would be the best. If you can't, I'm sorry, but you should still go see it if you have the chance.

Sometimes, I feel unbelievably untalented. But most of the time, I'm thankful that I go to a school where I can attend four or five music events for free in one day and know that every one of them will be of professional quality. As I said before, music isn't just a hobby. It's their life. Their present, their past, their future.

It's amazing how differently God forms each one of us. Yet we all have a unique purpose for the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment