3.26.2011

Lack of Self-Control

The Border's closest to me here in Nashville is closing. The sale started Thursday.

My resolve? one book.

My purchase? two.  Oops?

I carried three around for about half an hour and put back the hardback even though it sounded super interesting. I'm proud of myself for that at least.

Radical by David Platt
Neither Here Nor There by Bill Byrson

I read a Bill Bryson earlier this semester for a class. That one, The Mother Tongue, is about the English language and how it is the way it is. It was extremely entertaining and informative at the same time.

I really want to read this new one. Right now. I'm trying so hard to resist. So hard. I don't have time to start it right now and I know that, but it keeps staring at me.

I love new books.
I love old books.

I don't want our society to advance to a paperless, bookless society. I'll miss the smell of the pages and the way books look on my shelf.

What would you miss most if we stopped printing books?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you got Radical! Its pretty much the best thing since CS Lewis.

    I'd definitely miss being able to carry the book around and not worry about plugs and whether or not I had enough battery power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd miss their portability for while I read them, and miss their tendency to be used as coasters on my desk for while I'm not.

    ReplyDelete