3.19.2011

This is the Day.

For five years my mom woke me up over the intercom in the house for school with these words: "This is the day the LORD has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

It is no secret that I abhor mornings. And truthfully, it's not the morning I hate. I love mornings. I hate sleeping in and wasting the morning. What I more specifically abhor is waking up. If I have to wake up, I like waking up to natural sunlight. The sun is up; the day has begun. It's normal and it's natural.

My mom can't remind me of whose day it is every morning anymore. It may be a struggle, but I have to remind myself daily that this day is not my own. God has a purpose for my day. All I have to do is rejoice and praise Him, for He has given me another day, another opportunity to show His glory. I can't let those opportunities pass me by day after day.

I have to wake up sometime. What's more natural than waking up and praising God and going forth into the day with joy in my heart? The sunlight streaming through my window may be an outward reminder of what God is doing in my life, but it isn't necessary. The Word reminds me every day, no matter what the weather outside reflects.

I still have bad days, believe me; in fact, I probably have more bad, frustrated, unhappy, *insert negative adjective here* days than good days. Yet, the LORD made this day, and He is not a thoughtless maker.

If I wake up every day and remind myself that this day belongs to God, my Father, what is there not to rejoice about?

"Rejoice and be glad in it" is not an imperative statement, but merely actions that naturally follow acknowledgement of the LORD's day. It isn't even a conditional statement. It's future fact.

Mom, thank you for all those years of 6 a.m. wake ups for tennis practice in the dark, orchestra sectionals, and class. It was never anything I wanted to do, but I could never be angry about the morning when the first thing I heard was "This is the day the LORD has made."

There is no better way to wake up and embrace the day. I only have to remember that every day belongs to God. I can claim none for myself.

For a girl who suffered from anxiety and nausea every morning for years, this sure is one comforting and encouraging thought.

2 comments:

  1. My mom has woken me up with a sing song version of that psalm basically every day of my life... she still sometimes calls in the morning and sings me that refrain :] Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and you :)
    Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete