3.23.2011

The End of Childhood is Imminent.

"Dobby never meant kill. He only meant to maim or seriously injure."

I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 tonight in Belmont's student life center. Before it's been released on DVD!!

I love the movie, but I hate that the end is approaching. Harry Potter has been one of the largest parts of my childhood. It's weird to think that something that's been so me for so long will be all over in July. There's one last premiere, and, chances are, I won't be able to attend.

The Facebook group "Reading HP 7 was like killing the 7th horcrux of my childhood" is no joke. That's what it feels like. A huge part of what made me who I am has a true finite ending, and it's quickly approaching. A part of me will probably die the day part two is released.

I guess this just serves to remind me not to find my identify in anything but the eternal, the infinite. I should not be known as "a Harry Potter fan," and if that's all people are seeing, then something's wrong.

Excuse how ridiculous this sounds, but people should know me as "a Jesus fan." At least He won't come to a screeching halt on me after all these years.


It's strange having to say goodbye to my childhood, and for a number of reasons I don't want to let it go. But my ultimate purpose doesn't lie in my childhood, in my twelve-year-old self.

Much of who I am is a result of my fanatic love for Harry Potter and all things book related, and I do believe there was a point to that; however, I can't rely on it any longer. It has an end, as do all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment